Specializing in System Safety and Software Safety Since 1986
- Can software, that is safety-critical, be demoted to safety-related if independent safety measures
are used to reduce the hazard risk?
- Is it ok to use Linux in safety-related applications of SIL x integrity?
- Should I consider using the techniques described in IEEE 1633 to derive software failure rates?
- What is problematic regarding the use of SWALs in ED-153?
- Is it wise for us to use off-shore system safety consultants?
- Where can I find a copy of STANAG 4404?
- I am a safety engineer. There has been an accident involving a system that I analyzed years ago
when I worked for a previous employer. I may have to provide testimony. What advice can you offer me?
- How effective is software sneak analysis?
- Do you have a sample Hazardous Materials Management Program Plan?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of FTA verus FMEA?
- How do I apply Functional Failure Path Analysis (FFPA)?
- Which RTOS would you recommend for SIL x?
- What SIL should platform screen door functions attract?
- Should we ground platform screen doors on a 3-rail system?
- Who supplies PIES systems for light rail transit systems?
- What FTA software packages should we avoid?
- I need to conduct an OSHA Job Hazard Analysis. Any pointers?
- I understand you believe that RSPPs are flawed. What do you think is wrong with them?
- I am looking for guidance for Bent Pin Analysis (BPA).
- Where can I find an example of a good SSPP?
- Is it wise to use Java in safety-critical systems?
- I am looking for software safety training in Canada.
- Am I personally liable as a designer of safety-critical systems?
- What textbook do you recommend for safety-critical system design?
- Do you recommend SFTA or SFMEA and, if so, why?
- We are burning money at a rapid rate using DO-178B for level "A". Besides compliance, what is this buying us?
Does this mean our software will be safer
than it would be if we followed (less expensive) level "B" requirements?
- What is the difference between MIL-STD-882C, MIL-STD-882D, MIL-STD-882E, SAE ARP4761, DEF STAN 00-56, and IEC 61508?
- What is the difference between a hazard and a failure condition?
- The lawyers have asked us for our corporate safety policy.
- Do you have practical guidelines for Barrier Analysis (BA)?
- Can you provide some pointers on creating a hazard risk assessment matrix?
- We produced a risk assessment matrix which has been accepted by our client. Now we realize that
it is going to be very expensive to comply with it. Do you have any suggestions?
- I represent a commuter railroad. Is there something wrong with our supplier's SSPP?
- We have a helicopter landing on a ship. What safety standards are applicable?
- Do we need both a SAR and a safety case? What is the difference?
- Would you recommend APTA's SSPP guidelines?
- What do you think of using FHA instead of PHA to comply with 49CFR236 subpart I?
- We have an aircraft under development. What development assurance level would normally be used for the xxx system?
- I am looking for MMEL for UAV.
- Do you have severity level definitions for health hazards?
- Do you have severity level definitions for aircraft damage?
- Do you have severity level definitions for radiation hazards?
- Do you have severity level definitions for environmental hazards?
- Can you recommend someone to help us with PFMEA and DFMEA?
- Do you think there should be a Software Safety Program Plan for Positive Train Control systems?
- Can you recommend someone to perform sneak circuit analysis?
- What fault tree analysis software do you recommend and why?
- How do we derive the probabilities of data corruption for use in our fault trees?
- Can Microsoft Windows be used for SIL 1 and SIL 2 systems?
- Our customer is xxx. Any advice?
- Can I use C# for a safety-related system?
- Please provide an example of a claim, argument and evidence for a safety case.
- Could you skim through our SSPP for us?
- How do we develop "vital" software for a railroad system?
- Do we need a PHA as well as an FHA for an airborne system?
- We have an RSPP. Should our suppliers provide us with an SSPP? What is the difference?
- System safety does not seem to fit under the umbrella of Human System Integration (HSI) even though it is a requirement. Please advise.
- Would you recommend PHA, FHA or HAZOP for hazard identification?
- Can you provide a reference for the determination of software failure rates?
- Where can we obtain information to include in section 10 (safety assurance concepts including design
principles and assumptions) of the PSP required by 49CFR236 subpart H?
- Where can we obtain information to include in section 2 (safety assurance concepts including design
principles and assumptions) of the PTCSP required by 49CFR236 subpart I?
- Is there a measure of effectiveness for CRCs?